Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Earplugs

I finally started wearing earplugs while I ride, mostly on the advice of folks on the Rebel Board. Some one mentioned that a prolonged ride has adverse effects, which makes sense. But, they mentioned that a prolonged ride was over 30 minutes. My commute is that at the least and usually a bit longer, one way. They also talked about being able to hear certain things better with earplugs in, such as emergency vehicles and other cars around you, because the earplugs will block out the high engine noises. I was not convinced that was true until I could test it out for myself, and it was. I've also noticed I can hear other things about the bike now. For example, the spotlight rattle is much more clear! And there is some other little rattle that I haven't figured out yet where it is coming from. (It might be the exhaust down tube or pipe that we'd already listened to but now I can hear it better with the earplugs in.)

I think I'd like to try out some different kinds of earplugs. I've got the cheap disposable ones from Target and hubby has some similar ones from Lowes. But, I wonder if others might be more comfortable and longer lasting.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I too was surprised at the difference earplugs can make on longer trips. I think the 30 minute cutoff is reasonable. My commute is quite short and I don't wear earplugs during. But on anything longer, I've found that wearing them keeps me mentally "fresh".

WebBikeWorld has a great page on earplugs and they've done quite a few reviews.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

I have a feeling that opinions on earplugs are pretty subjective. I know there are a few websites where you can purchase "sample packs" containing a variety of different kinds to try out.