Monday, October 22, 2007

Plans for a new paint job

So, I've been wanting to paint my bike since I bought it. I've heard that the silver wing tanks are fairly rare, and the 450s are sort of a collectors item anyway. So, my thought was to get a different tank and paint it, instead of the stock tank, just because of the rarity and on the odd chance I'd want to sell it, it would be nice to be able to go back to stock.

Anyhoo, there are a few options for tank replacements for the 450 after some trial and error by other folks. There is a way to modify a 250 tank to fit the 450. There is also a motorcycle company called Tank, that has some gas tanks that also fit the 250 Rebel. Using the same modifications, that should also, in theory, work for the 450. And then there is the CX500 tank, which we happen to have a couple of lying around in the garage. So, there are options. (The Tank tank is also larger, which is nice.)

Here is a rough mock up of the paint job I want.


The fleur de lis would be gold same as the pinstripes.

Maybe a winter project?

2 comments:

Amanda Tippy said...

Do you still have some CX500 tanks? i am looking for a deluxe model. would you want to part with one?

Allaina said...

no, hubby has plans for the CX tanks he currently has. I'm still looking for one myself. They pop up every now and then on ebay.