Monday, October 8, 2007

Thoughts on riding to work

So, I ride to work just about every day unless there is something I have to do that requires the car. For example, I had a meeting one day after work downtown. I don't like driving in rush hour on the interstate so I took my car to work. This also allowed me to get a new windshield for the car. I've been needing to do that for a while now. They came to work to replace it. So, I didn't feel too guilty not riding that day.

It is fairly uneventful getting to and from work these days. That's a good thing really. It is so much more relaxing to arrive on the bike than in the car. And I realized something else. I'd been debating with myself if it takes longer to take the bike - gathering my gear, warming up the bike - as opposed to hopping in the car and going. Well, one thing, when I drive to work I park off campus so it takes me about the same amount of time to walk to my office as it does to warm up the bike. And if I lay out all my gear the night before, which is easy if I take it off and lay it out when I get home, there really isn't more time involved. In the winter I'll be warming up the car anyway.

Now that I've got a routine down it doesn't take any time at all for me to get out the door. For a while I would forget my motorcycle key. I'd get all the way to the garage and have to go back for it. And this was after locking the house and everything. But now I just keep the key in my moto pants pocket. I don't ride without my pants so it is always with me that way. Maybe one day I'll have an extra house key made to keep on that key ring. That way I won't have to remember my house keys and I can leave them in my bag.

That reminds me, I need to have a copy made of the moto key. Maybe we'll do that this weekend.

No comments: