Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Road kill practice?

So, the other day, riding to work, I passed quite a few road killed prairie dogs and I had this thought. How soon will it be before I hit one of those living prairie dogs? They are everywhere along my routes to work. They dart out unpredictably all the time. Not long ago I was behind a car that nearly hit one as it darted out then back and the right rear tire of the car barely missed it. But the dumb thing stood up at the edge of the road. Fortunately it didn't run back out in front of me and all was well. But.... my thought later progressed to, with all the road killed ones out there, should I practice riding over a couple??

I know, that's pretty gross and all that, but maybe it is worth it just to get some practice about how the bike might handle it. It creeps me out just thinking about it really but if it is me or the prairie dog, well... And I know it wouldn't be a real world type of experience but there could be some benefit. But, I also worry about creating a habit of target fixation on the critters. That would be bad. Ideally, it would be best to avoid them all together.

Nothing creeps me out more than driving over an animal. I do the whole freaked out screaming girl thing when I hit a squirrel. That's what worries me the most really. I'm sure the bike would be fine but mentally, I cannot prepare for it.

Should I practice??

Ew.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How about using pieces of 2x4 in a parking lot? That way, you can start practicing at slower speeds and don't have to worry about cleaning putrid gore off the underside of your bike.

Allaina said...

Also, part of the problem is the gore. I don't have any trouble riding over other kinds of debris. I can do curbs and 2x4s without a second thought really. It's the squishy animal thing that creeps me out. Inanimate objects don't scare me. I'm not even that afraid of larger animals. They won't squish even though I might. It is the squishiness that creeps me out.