Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Spring/Summer

So, today it is back to feeling like spring. Yesterday it was a hot summer day. I should have pulled over and bought something cool to drink on my way home. Towards the end of the day I started feeling icky. I had an earache and some popping going on which had me worried that I was getting sick. So, I was a bit tired by the time I got on the bike to head home. My first stoplight puts me facing into the sun for what seems like a long time. I have to sit with my head down just to keep from over heating. That's the first problem. (I need to research my route out of Boulder again.) Then I kept talking myself out of stopping to get something to drink. That's usually a good indication that I am tired or over heated. At any rate I made it home without stopping. Hubby looked at me and said I looked over heated. I felt it too. I took my boots off, and drank two glasses of ice water. Then we went to dinner in my car with the a/c on and sat in an air conditioned restaurant. By the time we were home again I felt much better. Still tired but not over heated.

That is not a good way to ride.... Note to self.

And it isn't even summer yet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the opposite problem last week while riding to the dealership for the SV's 600 mile service: it was too darn cold!

I was an icicle when I pulled into the service lot, and somehow I kicked the sidestand down all wrong, leaned the bike over, and down she went. A zero mph tipover to announce my arrival! Embarrassing, I must say.

I guess if the body tells us something, we should probably listen!

Robert Keeney said...

I live in Florida and commute daily on my motorcycle. It's already 95 degrees here and the humidity is close to 100% during some of the day. The mornings are the worst. 80 degrees an 98% humidity.

I'm Assuming you are wearing a mesh riding gear. The clothes you wear under your gear can make a huge difference. Cotton doesn't cut it. You need the sweat to evaporate and keep you cool cotton doesn't want to let the water go. Note how long it takes for jeans to dry in your dryer. Polyester shirts work really well under a jacket. The polyester lets the air through and the moisture evaporate and keep you cool. The polyester works so well that I am replacing my wardrobe with it. Once I wore a polyester tee shirt I didn't want to put a cotton one on again.

I like to ride shady roads home when its hot even if it takes longer. Fortunately we have lots of canopied roads. Trees also cool the air around them so its cooler than riding on a six lane street with parking lots all round.

Opening your shield when you stop in the sun helps. Its like a greenhouse inside when your in the sun.

If your not wearing leather you can wet your jacket to keep cool. I've heard of people carrying a bottle of water on their bike and spraying themselves at stops. I've not tried this myself.

Someone in one of the forums I am a member of waded into a pond up to his neck when he started getting to hot. He swears by it.

Do some Google searches. Go to advrider.com and do some searching. If there is any forum on the inter net were people will know about this stuff advrider.com is the place.

Allaina said...

Thanks for the comment. I do know better. I just didn't listen to myself. :) I like that idea of wading in the pond. My problem on this particular day was that I didn't hydrate all day as I should have and didn't stop when I knew I should have. Lesson learned. I wear a mesh jacket and mesh pants too. The mesh pants are so much cooler than jeans!

I've visited that advrider site too. It is pretty cool and has great advice and photos.

Ride safe!