Thursday, June 12, 2008

Downtown!

I rode downtown today for a workshop. I haven't ridden downtown very often and never during business hours. I left early enough though that I didn't have much stop and go at all. But, driving east in the morning and west in the afternoon sure ain't fun. But, it was fun to have that experience. It is a different kind of awareness for that ride. My normal scanning heading to work is for prairie dogs, deer, coyote, elk, and that sort of stuff. In the city, it is bikes, scooters, pedestrians, drivers in a huge hurry, and that sort of stuff. No worries though. It was a nice ride. :-)

I was able to stop in at MotoGear Outlet on the way home and pick up my chin curtain for my helmet. Yay! Now maybe I won't get so much stuff in my eyes.

The other day I stopped at a place on the way home that turned out to be closed. But, in the time it took me to park, get my helmet and gloves off, walk to the door, turn around and walk back to the bike, a bee had decided to attack my left hand grip. I didn't see it until I after I'd put the key in the ignition. Then I jumped back and did the fear of bee thing that most of us do. I wasn't sure what to do really so I just put my gear on quickly and closed my helmet just in case it decided my hi-viz yellow jacket would be attractive. I really didn't have to do anything though. It is just that irrational fear of bees that most of us have that kicked in. I'm not even allergic so it wasn't critical or anything. Anyway, it did just fly away shortly after I got all my gear on. So, I jumped on the bike and drove off.... as if it might chase me or something. Pretty silly but, oh well. :-) All the way home I felt like I had bugs in my jacket.

No comments: