Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's this noise?

On the way to work yesterday I kept hearing this rattling noise. It sounds like it is right in my ears or in my helmet. Now, my helmet does rattle a little but this wasn't that noise. I kept tilting my head to try to figure out where it was coming from, looking in the mirror to see if there was something tapping me on the head some where. And then on the way home, it sounded worse, well louder anyway. It had me worried that I should pull over because something might be wrong with the bike. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and it was really driving me to distraction. I did notice when I tucked my head behind the windshield I couldn't hear it. (That made me think earlier that it was my helmet and the wind.) But, when I put my head down and to the left, I couldn't hear it. When I put my head down and to the right I could hear it. It also seemed to only be there above 45 miles per hour. It definitely sounds like it is coming form the front of the bike.

One thought was that it is my spotlight. The left one is loose. But, when I shake it I can't recreate the noise. I'll try tightening it tonight (I drove today) to see if that changes anything. I'll also try wearing my other helmet to see if that changes anything. I also need to check my spokes. Would they make a noise??

There are other things that vibrate and rattle on the bike when it is idling in neutral that I can't figure out. (It is 22 years old.) But, this is something new and different. Hubby noticed a weird humming noise as well.

Oh, the other thing it could be is the rear shock. The damper (is that what it's called) or some piece inside the shock is loose. I also have those hard saddle bags with things in them that bounce around. That makes noises as well but I can usually tell what those noises are. I need to get my shocks replaced, front and rear. Winter projects hear we come....

No comments: