Friday, November 2, 2007

Brrrrr!

I was cold this morning for the first time. I mean really cold, uncomfortably cold. I stopped to change gloves a few times. I'm normally a cold person. It is as if I can't generate my own body heat some times.

My fingers are almost always cold riding in the mornings. Yesterday, the temperature wasn't as cold as this morning and I wasn't very cold at all. My fingers were cold but not so bad that I wanted to pull over like this morning. Maybe some of that had to do with leaving before the sun was up. Yesterday I left later and rode with my sunglasses on. This morning, it was dark for most of the ride.

I had on several layers, the same layers I always have on for the cold temperatures. Not much more I can add to the mix - undershirt, long sleeve tee shirt, long sleeve turtle neck, heavier tights, my mesh pants with the quilted liner, thick fleece balaclava under my full face helmet. Now, I'd worried about the mesh pants but so far they had been ok. That is until this morning. My legs were cold. My hands were cold. Even my face was cold. My arms felt a bit cold when I was wearing non-gauntlet gloves. Even my toes were cold.

I think what I'll have to do is figure out a way to block the wind on my hands. I could warm them up a bit if I took them out of the wind. Heated grips have always been on my list too but I'm worried about the draw on the battery. If I'm leaving in the dark, I'll need my highway lights too.

Or maybe I'll be riding the bus this winter. :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, the bus isn't THAT bad. At least, you would be a little warmer. g ;-)