Thursday, November 15, 2007

Too cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 degrees. Oh my. I thought I'd ride this morning. Crazy!! I was all set to go, had my game face on and everything. Hand warmers, toe warmers, extra toe warmers because I forgot they came in pairs int he package, warm balaclava, and my usual other gear - full liner in jacket, liner in pants with tights on underneath. I even had on long warm Smart Wool boot socks that came up to my knees. Those are nice and toasty. And yet it wasn't nearly enough.

My fingers are the problem. I can't keep them warm. But this morning was not even close. The hand warmers kept the top of my hands cold but my fingers may as well have been exposed. It was painful. I think I described my previously coldest ride as uncomfortable. This was painful. I had to turn around and get my car. :-(

And yet, there were other riders out there without any gear on. I saw a guy with jeans and a jacket but nothing at all on his head. Not even a knit hat!! Crazy! I saw him before I decided to turn around. I think I would have turned around sooner if I hadn't seen him.

The toe warmers didn't even work. They were sort of warm when I walked out the door but were ice cold when I got back home. I had a pair under my toes and a pair in my pockets. The hand warmers were better but the heat didn't make it to my fingers. Those stayed warm even after I got home. In fact, I put them in my Crocs to warm myself up after I got in the house.

Another thing that should have clued me in to how cold it really was, the Wendy's had run the sprinklers and the grass was frozen and there was a sheet of ice on the sidewalk.

Another thing, my new balaclava prevents my glasses from fogging up but now my visor will fog up a bit at the bottom. This morning, it froze. Yikes! Very cold!

My new larger windshield should arrive tomorrow. Perhaps that will help keep the wind off my hands and keep them a bit warmer. Of course, it is also supposed to snow next week. So, the riding season may just be coming to a close for me. :-( I was hoping to be a tough all season rider. I think I need more accessories for that to happen.

No comments: