Friday, November 9, 2007

Riding in the dark

Now that the time has finally changed, and we've fallen back an hour, I ride to work in the daylight and ride home from work in the dark. I think I liked it better the other way around. The traffic going home is always scarier than going to work. People are more a little more alert in the morning and less in a hurry to get where they are going.

Some thoughts on night riding...

Cars and buses seem closer and larger at night.

Motorcycles really are invisible to cagers. (I've seen a few other larger bikes out there, with riders wearing dark clothes, that are literally invisible unless you are right next to them. From behind, that little tail light doesn't do very much even when illuminated. Makes me wonder what I look like.)

Having the spotlights may quite literally be a life saver.

Leaving a half hour later from work helps to avoid much of the traffic.

Moving around helps others see you. (I have large reflective stickers on the back and sides of my helmet. Moving my head as I scan or as cars come up behind me seems to help others see me. Changing position in the lane helps others see you too. It may make them wonder what you are up to, but that helps them pay more attention to you.)

You can never have too much reflectivity. (I need more rear reflectivity on the bags, the bike, and myself.) I've got some reflective tape on my helmet that I bought online here.

Conspicuity is your friend.

Use your Intersection Strategy all the time but especially at night.

Be alert. The world needs more lerts.

No comments: