Tuesday, November 20, 2007

First Test Ride

Riding in yesterday morning was rather uneventful which is ok. I didn't notice much difference in the handling of the bike with the larger windshield. It did seem to take me longer to get up some hills but it was also a bit windy. The engine sounds are more clear with the larger shield. The space between the headlight and the shield lets in a lot of wind. It was a rather warm morning, almost 60 degrees, so I couldn't really tell how much warmer my hands were.

Going home in the dark was a challenge. I didn't like looking through the windshield at all. Too much distortion and reflection from the on coming headlights. Really, I've just added yet another layer of plastic for me to look through - my eye glasses, my helmet shield and now the windshield. Not fun at all. I rode with one glove liner and my mesh gloves. I couldn't tell the difference and my hands weren't cold. It was also still windy. I could feel the sail effect a bit but nothing to worry over. Just more of it than with the Spitfire. But, the reflection was too much for me. I don't think that's something to get used to. I think that's some thing we'll have to fix.

Didn't ride today. The snow is predicted to begin this afternoon or evening some time so I didn't want to risk riding in bad weather with the problems of the shield. So, that might be it for the season. Well, for a while anyway. Guess it was bound to happen some time.

No comments: