Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shifting the Rebel

Folks on the Rebel Board are always discussing how to get the most speed out of the Rebel - mostly in reference to the 250 since there are more of those around than the 450. Everyone says the bike likes to be wound up, sort of like a sport bike, before shifting into higher gears. So, I've listened intently to the discussions and put it in the back of my mind. I've never felt the need for speed, mostly I am on surface roads even on my 25 mile commute to work. But, I can occasionally venture onto the highway as well. And I've never had trouble getting the bike up to 65mph when needed. But, I still wonder, how much speed is there in this bike?

So, over the past few weeks I've been practicing the late shifting thing. It is pretty amazing the difference it makes. I get up to speed in lower gears and have so much left. I don't have to go wide open throttle (WOT) to get up to speed. Not that I didn't before but, now I can get up to speed with much less effort. And I can adjust my speed better as well.

And then, last night, hubby adjusted the idle. (Thanks Love!) The ride into work this morning seemed effortless. I was worried because I'm so used to the high revs but now it feels and sounds so much better. Of course that was just on the way to work this morning and it was a pretty cool morning. But, I also got on highway 36 at Superior (because of all the construction) and that was quite fun. We'll see how the hot ride home turns out. That had been the problem. Once the bike is hot it stays hot and the idle was twice what it was supposed to be.

So, once again, I must say, I love this bike. I've been looking at other bikes just to have something different, but this Rebel keeps me happy.

Still, a Magna would be nice. :-)

No comments: