Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Grrrrrrr!!!! Dropped it!!!

So, I was warming up the bike as usual. I strapped on my T-bag, and decided to check the oil because my last pre-ride check showed it to be low. But then I thought I'll just head out because I was already late getting out this morning. (Pattern developing.) I throw my leg over which is hard to do because the T-bag is on the pillion and I've got my liner in my pants and tights on underneath. As I'm sitting there straddling the bike, I smell something odd. I have absolutely no idea what this smell is but for some reason I decide it must be the low oil. (No idea what it is...must be the oil?) So, I decide I'd better check it and add more if it is low. So.....

I lean the bike to rest it on the side stand.....

Yep, I forgot to put it back down. (Swear word, swear word, swear word!!)

Not only that, but my bike lives in a location in the garage that almost traps me beneath it as I try to gently lay it down as it is falling. There are boards leaning against the wall, also leaning against random other things like a ladder, spare tire, etc. I can just barely stand between the bike and the wall. But this also means the bike isn't totally on the ground either.

I turn off the bike, wriggle free, swear some more, close the garage door so no one can see me (we live near a middle school!), turn off the gas, swear some more and then take off my helmet and jacket and gloves. I get back between the bike and the wall and stuff and I can't bend down enough to lift it the proper way. So, I grab the left grip and the strap across the seat, do my best Incredible Hulk impression and lift it upright.

Swear word, that was pretty cool. Didn't have to call the hubby home from his job!

So, I check the oil, add more, and then decide to get moving. But, the mirror is cocked funny. So, I adjust that and head out. Then it sounds like the front brake is squeaking oddly. So, I pull over, call hubby and tell him what happened. He suggests I not ride until he can check it out. So, I went back home with that permission to not ride today.

It is such a beautiful day too. And it was about 40 degrees this morning but is supposed to be 67 or so for the high temp. Sigh.

I'm sure the bike is fine. It didn't even really fall over, but sort of laid down on it's side. Sigh.

I can't believe I did that.

When I went back into the house to change out of my riding gear and into my work gear, I ripped my tights. After that I decided I'd better take it easy and not try to rush into the rest of this day. So, I'm sitting at home eating breakfast trying to calm down. Fortunately, my job allows me to have these moments.

Grrrrrrr!!!! I can't believe I did that!!!!

Lesson learned. I need to be completely focused on the ride. Do the pre-ride check every time so that it is a habit. And it is probably time to change the oil anyway so I just need to get that done.

Oh, and by the way, the hulk I am not. My back is already sore.

No comments: