Thursday, September 6, 2007

My first ride

My first motorcycle experience was in the Peace Corps. We were given Suzuki TS125's to get around the country to do our work. Our training involved the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Beginner's Rider Course. The first three days were pretty much the same, learning how to start the bike, shift through the gears, quick stops, etc. But, our class was 6 days long. We did riding on varied terrains - deep sand on the beach, paved roads (such as they were), mud, hills, rocks. We also learned some moto maintenance. We took the bike apart and put it back together, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, replaced a tire. It was great! Here's my bike -I don't know what year bike it was. During my second year I inherited a newer one from a PCV who was leaving. We had luggage racks made in the village and used pieces of inner tubes as bungees to tie down things.

Here is another handy use for the bikes.

Those little bikes could carry lots of luggage and a couple of people through the desert without much trouble.

I was in Senegal from 1993 until 1995. When I came back home, I moved back to Colorado. In 1996, my boy friend and I took the MSF BRC and got our moto endorsement. But, no bikes. It wasn't until ten years later that we both got bikes. He got a CX500 and I got the Rebel. We took the BRC again and have been riding ever since. I took the Additional Rider Course at the start of this season as a refresher. I'll probably take the Advanced Rider Course next year.

No comments: